Wednesday, 3 May 2017

Trying to monetise my dead Grandmother talking about the War #DadDirt



You know that you are a Great British Dad when...
...you try to make money out of anything in your home.


Me and my Long-Suffering Wife (LSW) are walking down the hill, with me scrolling down my phone.

ME
YouTube just banned my video.

LSW
The rotters.
(THEN) Which one?

ME
No, hang on. "It isn't approved for monetisation."

LSW
The rotters. Does that mean you can't make any money from it?

ME
"...because the content in your video(s) or video details may not be advertiser friendly."

LSW
I didn't think anything in any of your videos is advertiser friendly.

ME
It's the one with Nan talking about what she did in the War.

LSW
Huh. Maybe you don't want an ad in front of that.

ME
Why not?! Isn't that what we fought Hitler for?

LSW
She fought Hitler for.

ME
Right. She's in her twenties, up on the roof of her company's buildings, middle of Kensington during the air raids...

LSW
...and 75 years later you're whacking adverts on it.

ME
Who's gonna get offended? She was on the Good side. Not the baddies.

LSW
Is it what Nana would've wanted?

ME
I have no idea. 3 hours of on-camera interview, and I haven't got a clue.

You can hear the cogs.

ME
She was in the Air Force...

LSW
And they were fighting for free expression...

ME
Yes. And the right for companies to turn a profit whatever the situation.

LSW
Like the company profiting from her being up on the roof...

ME
Protecting their premises during the Luftwaffe drops...

LSW
Why exactly was she on the roof again though?

ME
I don't know! You just did what you were told. No wonder she joined the Air Force.

LSW
I think she wouldn't care if there's adverts on that. She liked the adverts.

ME
It's when she'd go and get a cup of tea.

LSW
How much do you make? On your YouTube videos?

ME
This month? On 58 videos?
Two dollars, seven cents.

Long pause.

LSW
You need to film your Dad talking about the 1960's.

ME
Yeah. Like that's advertiser friendly.


Previous post...
Have you ever been kicked in the face? aka Buying shoes for my daughter. #DadDirt


A complete guide to my Dad Dirt is coming together here

All about me, and getting these by email.